Tuesday 22 April 2014

Ta Da! Matchbox Mice

If you're anything like me you'll have a huge and ongoing 'To Do' list. Mine is so big I have to split it up into 'To Do This Day/Week/Month' and hopefully 'To Do One Day...at some point'! Things get added at a much faster rate than they get ticked off, unfortunately.

Rather than dwell on these never-ending lists I thought it would be good to show off some of the things that do get finished: to celebrate the completion and who knows, perhaps this will spur on more projects to the finishing line?
 
*****
Wiss' friend had her 4th birthday recently and although I love making presents for children myself there are also so many gorgeous things to buy, especially original items from craft fairs or markets that I can't resist either!

During a recent visit to Richmond Duckpond Market I bought two very sweet mice from the Lazy Lizards stall. All the items for sale have been hand crafted in Sri Lanka and as well as the mice in various outfits and costumes there are parrots, caterpillars even anteaters all made in bold bright fabric.
I wanted to add my own personal touch and the mice needed somewhere to sleep so I made a giant matchbox from 3mm mdf (but you could equally use corrugated card.) I googled 'vintage matchboxes' and printed out an image to go on the top of the box. I stencilled a pattern on the sides of the matchbox and then varnished everything to make it really hard wearing (& kid proof!)
Obviously, any self-respecting mice will need a mattress and some cozy bedding to really feel at home. The mattress and pillows are made from my stash of brushed cotton fabric and the blanket was quickly knitted up in garter stitch from left over wool.
The birthday card is from illustrator Stacie Swift and with the little mouse couldn't have been a better match for the present. I am really pleased with how it all turned out and love that it's a combination of handmade crafts by different people; it always feels good to support others too.
 
So there we are, the Matchbox Mice. Ta Da!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking time out to leave comments. I will always try to respond to any messages so please, let me know what you are thinking...