Thursday 1 September 2011

Celebrate the Man!

Hooray! I have finished the man-sized shorts and I am pretty pleased with them : )

If you've read my blog before you'll know that these shorts came about through outfit-envy of the shorts I made for Wiss as part of the Celebrate the Boy series on Made But making a real pair of tailored shorts was a completely new challenge for me. There were so many pieces! And the instructions took some deciphering for a novice like me, but I got there. And they look like a decent pair of shorts, even if I do say so myself!


I used a Kwik Sew pattern for flat fronted mens shorts:


But it was the fabric that was going to make these shorts really unique. The Snorkel range from Cosmo Cricket has some really lovely designs but my favourite is definitely the Life Preserver pattern.


I decided to use a bright red cotton for the pockets and the inside of the waistband. They will rarely be seen but even just a glimpse helps to make the shorts extra special.



As you can see in this last photo, the inside of the shorts is not quite as neat as the outside. I feel like I need a serger and then it will all be much better, but then only a bad craftsman blames her tools! I have learnt so much in the process of making these shorts, and I'm sure if I had to make them again, I could make them even better. But that's the way it always goes!

Now I know that the summer is practically over, but the sun is shining today and the man in question tells me that he is off somewhere hot next month so the shorts will get some wear this year. What I great challenge, thanks for pushing me out of my comfort zone but sorry it took me so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking time out to leave comments. I will always try to respond to any messages so please, let me know what you are thinking...