Saturday 17 March 2012

Happy St Patrick's Day!

St Patrick's Day this year is a special date for me. Yes, my husband is Irish so we always celebrate it in some way (usually wearing green!) but there's another reason I want to write about it today.

One year ago I stumbled upon an amazing blog. I was completely new to this form of digital 'diary' and I didn't know it then but it was going to make quite a difference to my life! The website was Dana Made It. I was blown away by the stunning photographs and the fabulous things that Dana made for her family and home. More than that, there were great free tutorials where she shared her knowledge. I was hooked! I was inspired!

Before this, I had been knitting and sort-of sewing things during my pregnancy and maternity leave but I was self-taught from books which were informative but rather old-fashioned. Dana showed me that handmade could mean cool and funky too! Just look through her website yourself and you'll see what I mean.

I wanted to start sewing straight away, just something simple but I needed to give it a go. St Patrick's Day was a few days away so I decided on a themed appliqued t-shirt for Wiss to wear to nursery, inspired by this tutorial. I lasercut (what I thought was*) a shamrock from green felt and machine sewed it to a t-shirt from BabyGap. Simple!


I haven't stopped sewing from that day, and the rest has just snowballed from there. I had no idea that from that easy-peasy t-shirt I would be making clothes from scratch, start my own cottage business, be selling in markets, have a website or my own blog! It's been a very busy year but it's been great fun. Like many, I dream of big things but I know it will take lots of hard work, time and dedication. I want to thank everyone who has helped and supported me and 'This is Wiss', let's just wait and see what the future holds...

I'll leave you with a compare and contrast of Wiss on St Patrick's Day 2010 and today. Where does the time go?! I wish you all a wonderful day and hope you are wearing something green to celebrate!



*I was informed by my mother-in-law that this is actually a 4-leafed clover and not a shamrock! I'm afraid I'm still not sure what the difference is between clover and shamrocks though. Please leave a comment if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking time out to leave comments. I will always try to respond to any messages so please, let me know what you are thinking...